With the holidays in full swing I have been invited to a few of those ugly holiday sweater parties and I was on the quest to find one that will land me first prize. I even shelled out a few extra dollars for some holiday pants too, thinking if I have an over-the top, crazy, but complete ensemble I would surely smoke all of my competition. Wish me luck.
I then started to think about how so many companies have an ugly intranet and if they did was it ugly enough to win an ugly intranet contest? Trust me I used to work at a company where it could turn into a week long quest to find any useful information. The intranet was so cumbersome and annoying that no one wanted to use it, EVER!
I bet you are wondering what made it so ugly, here’s the nitty gritty:
- The home page was a complete jumble of this and that, no structure – no rhyme or reason
- It was a dumping ground of information overload, where you would have to dig to find exactly who or what you needed
- There was no sense of content ownership either, there was content posted that was so outdated that it talked about releases that happened years prior
- It wasn’t connected to other systems that I needed to use such as a CRM or learning tools
- When I wanted to post something I had to submit it in an unsearchable document library that asked me to fill out all this metadata and key word mubo-jumbo that didn’t even make it easy to find it once it was posted
- If it was that bad on a PC, I didn’t dare try to use it on my mobile device – why create angst for myself
- Sadly I could not work or share information in groups with members of my teams – and all correspondence was done by email after email
If the above bullets about how terrible my experience was sounds like your current intranet experience, congratulations you just won the ugly intranet contest. Let me tell you what you won. Don’t worry, it’s not a Chia Pet. Its a gift from me to you that will help make your intranet sparkle this holiday season.
What do you want this holiday season? I bet it’s a social intranet that:
- Is accessible from anywhere – no matter what digital device you are using
- Allows you to join and create groups that you can work and share information effortlessly
- Personalizes your experience so that connections and communications are relevant
- Your able to work in a space where you can connect to the tools you use every day to do your job
- Has resources available in one place that is easy to locate, share, update and download
- Fosters innovation and share new ideas with employees
- Can measure how employees use the social intranet and how their activity can lead to improved ROI
Bottom line – no one wants a gift that they have to stand in line to return, better yet one they wouldn’t even want to re-gift. Why bother using an outdated, undesirable, non-performing intranet when you should be using a social intranet that nurtures connections to employees, directs workers to resources they need, creates a collaborative space into a super powerful communication hub, fosters learning across the entire organization, and strengthens both internal and external relationships.